A wide variety of opportunities are offered by the ELCNS to respond to professional learning needs identified by educational leaders from across Nova Scotia. Program planning, development and delivery is coordinated through consultation with all partners in education, incorporating geographic, linguistic and diverse representation. Each learning opportunity responds to the leadership needs and experiences of Nova Scotia educators by providing relevant, practical learning experiences related to their daily tasks, and reflects current priorities and initiatives of the Nova Scotia Department of Education and Early Childhood Development. ECLNS programs adhere to high standards of professional learning and are supported by relevant resources. Most programs are written and facilitated by local educators with expertise and experience in the topic of study.
Our leadership programs adhere to research-informed principles that support the continued development of educational leaders as they support effective instruction and student learning, and focus on:
- Incorporating current research and evidence-based pedagogy;
- Recognizing teachers and administrators as professionals, and supporting their commitment to the continuous development of professional practice in all stages of their career;
- Recognizing the impact of effective teaching and supportive leadership on the achievement of all students;
- Enhancing teacher performance and student learning;
- Supporting standards of professional practices, professional growth plans and the Teacher Growth and Evaluation process;
- Integrating individual, regional and provincial priorities and initiatives;
- Integrating student well-being and achievement in an integrated way within the Nova Scotia Inclusive Education Policy framework;
- Incorporating inclusive, equitable and culturally responsive pedagogy and leadership practices;
- Fostering individual and collective growth through collaborative inquiry with colleagues across Nova Scotia;
- Building on teacher knowledge and skills to challenge attitudes, deepen understanding and transform practice;
- Facilitating deeper knowledge and skills through application and reflection;
- Addressing barriers to participation and enhancing access to professional learning options for all Nova Scotia educators;
- Recognizing the value of formal and informal learning opportunities; and
- Incorporating participant reflection and feedback to inform ongoing improvements in program offerings.
As part of the ELCNS Leadership Success Plan (2020), educational partners are working towards the redesign of modules and other learning opportunities that support leadership development for educators across Nova Scotia. In addition to reviewing current content and program offerings, feedback from educators will inform the design of new content, models of program delivery, and accessible and relevant professional learning options. This will enable the ELCNS to expand and strengthen its ability to support student learning through strong leadership. This work is underway and will be broadly communicated as it evolves, both through the newly designed ELCNS website and through Regional Centres for Education/Board and other partner organization representatives.